Saturday, January 26, 2019

Been Awhile...Jasper's Got a New Coat...

I've been thinking of this blog lately. Obvs, I'm not using it much. BUT I was thinking of throwing reviews of stuff up here occasionally. No kickbacks, no sponsorships: just my honest thoughts on everything from Amazon purchases to crafting directions.

To that end, I am going to review a dog coat I crocheted. I had hoped it would be easy, but since I am amateur at best, I had to rip it out a couple of times and start over. That being said, my dog is now wearing a little sweater, after working on the pattern on and off over the last week. :)

So, I find crochet patterns a little difficult to follow if they do not have pictures. I'd like to think that the problem lies with me but many times, I think they are missing a step or two. At least once on this pattern, they missed a chain 3 on the Shape Belly section, 2nd row. Fortunately I was following along with a YouTube video (love that there was one to be found when I looked it up) and it didn't cause too many issues. :)

Changes: I shortened the length of the coat by two rows because I didn't want him peeing on it when he went outside. I also changed the legs because, as written, they were cutting off the circulation to my dog's legs. Instead of whipstitching the leg bands on, I did a slip stitch trim on the leg holes and followed it up with a chain 3 and dc the rest of the way around the holes and slipstitched closed. I did dc2tog 4x on each leg to tighten it up a little.

Here he is...I used a little over one skein of the multi (size 4) yarn and some of a skein of black I had lying around. This coat is medium size.


All told, while it was interesting to work on a project, cost-wise, maybe not worth it, haha! I got the yarn from the thrift store for $4, but we did buy a coat for him from Wal-Mart that was only $5 so when you factor in time...haha! Well, we'll see if it holds up better than the coat from WM. :)
See ya next time! :)



No comments: