I was asked the question the other day: "Why did you choose to homeschool?" and, as usual, I was illogical and incoherent (at least, that was how I felt;)) in my presentation. So, I'm taking this opportunity to present my thoughts on our decision to homeschool.
•We take family seriously. I believe that schooling my children at home will strengthen our family bond. I want my children to understand that their siblings come before any "friend". I don't want them making decisions that will sacrifice family for the sake of popularity, money, etc. My dad always told my brothers "You protect your sisters" and we all felt the anger that comes from an attack on a sibling by some vicious high school twit. I want a close relationship with my children and I want them to know the real me and understand the grace of God through my relationship with them.
•We are enamored with the Classical Method, which, for the most part, you cannot get in a traditional school. I love the idea of following the child's natural inclination to learn! and the end goal: the actual ability to THINK and EXPRESS yourself coherently--MARVELOUS!
•It will allow them to participate in numerous avenues of interest that would be closed to them if they attended a "normal" school. You have greater flexibility of choices for them because you have more time. School doesn't have to take 6-8 hours! If your child has a talent in art or math or science, you can spend more time (lessons or even just at home) honing those skills which will put them miles ahead of those who only have leftover time to devote to the things they enjoy.
•I get the joy of participating in and seeing on an intimate level what my children are capable of doing! It's amazing! and beautiful!
•It's a less-expensive option. I haven't done any research into the local public school but if we did not homeschool, our initial thought would be to put them in a Christian school. That, as my BIL would say, is a nice car payment every month! A lot of money for something you could easily do yourself for less money and less time. I won't say less effort. Yes, it would be "easier" to let someone else teach my children.
Do I think you can accomplish some of these goals or even most of them while putting your child in a traditional school setting? Yes. It would take a conscious effort but yes, I think you can (and SHOULD). But for us, homeschooling allows us to accomplish our goals (thus far) and for us and for now (who knows what the future holds?), is the right choice!
Testing, testing...
-
I'm testing this out to see if it actually still works (haha!) and where it
feeds. I'm wanting to start blogging again, but mostly so that I can
document o...
2 comments:
Very eloquent, my dear. Just FYI, I did not think you were incoherent, and I was not trying to be antagonistic. As a former teacher, a lot of people automatically assume I am GOING to homeschool, and I haven't made that decision yet. I was just wondering about your decision. Well done. : )
I absolutely didn't feel that you were antagonistic!:) You were curious and I loved the opportunity to discuss it!
I of course, hope that you will go into it (so I can have company!:)) but know that every family has to make the right decisions for themselves, including families who have parents with education degrees!
Post a Comment